This past week in the Ron Paul Curriculum Physics course focused on Thermodynamic laws and definitions.
Concepts that were covered:
- First law of Thermodynamics – the heat put into the system is equal to the increase in energy of the system plus the work done by the system.
- Q – W = ΔU
- Thermodynamic Processes – Adiabatic, Isochoric, Isobaric, Isothermic.
- Perpetual Motion Machines
- PV diagrams
- Second law of Thermodynamics – heat cannot spontaneously flow from a low temperature body to a high temperature body. Or, heat cannot flow backwards.
- Heat Engines
- Carnot Engine – Rie Rae Ric Rac
- Heat Pumps
- Coefficient of Performance
- Zeroth law of Thermodynamics – if two systems are in thermal equilibrium with a third system, then they are in thermal equilibrium with each other.
- Third law of Thermodynamics – it is impossible to reach absolute zero.